What Your Shoe Says About You
You are what you wear -- on your feet. A new study from the University of Kansas found that people can accurately judge 90% of a stranger's personality by their shoes. The authors wrote, "Shoes serve a practical purpose, and also serve as nonverbal cues with symbolic messages. People tend to pay attention to the shoes they and others wear." The number of personality traits gleaned from shoes in the study included general age, income, political affiliation and even emotional stability, with judgments based on the style, cost, color and condition of someone's shoes. Among the results, some of which are more expected than others:
- Flashier shoes are typically worn by extroverts.
- People with higher incomes wear more expensive shoes.
- Practical and functional shoes are generally worn by more agreeable people.
- Ankle boots are more closely associated with aggressive personalities.
- Those who wear uncomfortable looking shoes tend to have calm personalities.
- More politically liberal people wear shabbier and less expensive shoes.
Right now I'm wearing boots with a heel.... which means I have a calm personality. Winning.
What are you wearing on your feet right now? What do your shoes say about you?
@EmilieClarke / Facebook